Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Wednesday 1 November 2017

Durham Cot quilt - 40s or 50s

Here is a little North Country cot quilt, probably from the 1940s or 50s. The top (green) is an artificial material, not too sure what it is exactly. The reverse is a pink cotton. The size is 28 x 38 inches - probably the width of the fabric dictated the size...


As is usual, the cot quilt has received some wear and is a bit misshapen due to washing.


The top has a hole or two where the fabric has worn. The quilting is good, and the quilter has filled the space well with the large feathers. I like the way in which she has filled the extra spaces with spirals and a trefoil design. As is usual in later quilts, the designs are larger and less intricate, but cover the area nicely.

 
Cat inspection....


I have traced the quilting design onto polythene, a first step in patterning the cot quilt.

Cot quilts were made in some numbers and were popular as a small gift. Not many survive, however.

Cot quilts present a problem in design, as the space is limited. Often, the design is a simple one with a small central motif, infill and an outer border. Here, the quilter has filled the space nicely with large motifs and no infill is needed, except for the spirals in the centre edge  and semicircles in the corners.

No comments:

Post a Comment